Obama’s expansion of the war on terror
Politico44 ^ | 6/14/12 | DONOVAN SLACK
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 9:50:43 AM by ColdOne
he Washington Post reports that the United States has set up a network of air bases across Africa where unarmed spy planes diguised as private turbo-prop aircraft surveil potential terrorist hideouts across a wide swath of the continent:
The operations have intensified in recent months, part of a growing shadow war against al-Qaeda affiliates and other militant groups. The surveillance is overseen by U.S. Special Operations forces but relies heavily on private military contractors and support from African troops.
The surveillance underscores how Special Operations forces, which have played an outsize role in the Obama administration’s national security strategy, are working clandestinely all over the globe, not just in war zones. The lightly equipped commando units train foreign security forces and perform aid missions, but they also include teams dedicated to tracking and killing terrorism suspects.
The establishment of the Africa missions also highlights the ways in which Special Operations forces are blurring the lines that govern the secret world of intelligence, moving aggressively into spheres once reserved for the CIA.
(Excerpt) Read more at politico.com …
- The Golden Age of Covert Murder (lewrockwell.com)
- Is Obama White House willing to jeopardize national security for political gain? (irishcentral.com)
- Dr. Edwin Vieira, Jr., JD – The Constitution Limits the President Even as “Commander in Chief” (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- WAR ON TERROR: The World’s Biggest New Business | Veterans Today (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- U.S. expands secret intelligence operations in Africa (blacklistednews.com)
- Obama administration announces ‘War on Terror’ is over; so can we fire the TSA and repeal the Patriot Act now? (blacklistednews.com)
- Fareed’s Take: U.S. has made war on terror a war without end (globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com)
- Revisiting a Key Legal Basis for Obama’s Anti-Terror Drone Strikes (swampland.time.com)
- Prison Planet.com ” Experts Agree: War On Terror Is A Racket, CIA And Wall Street Are Financed By Global Drug Trade (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Barack Obama’s war on terror is nastier and less ethical than George W Bush’s (blogs.telegraph.co.uk)