Obama to celebrities: “You’re the ultimate arbiter” of this country’s direction
President Obama and first lady Michelle Obama visited the home of actors Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick for a joint fundraising appearance on Thursday night, during which the president offered the gathered stars a rather frightening piece of flattery.
The intimate dinner banked about $2 million, with 50 people paying $40,000 each. “
Speaking in a dimly lighted, art-filled room, Obama told supporters they would play a critical role in an election that would determine a vision for the nation’s future.
“You’re the tie-breaker,” he said. “You’re the ultimate arbiter of which direction this country goes.”
Among the celebrities on hand to hear Obama’s remarks were Oscar winner Meryl Streep, fashion designer Michael Kors and Vogue editor Anna Wintour…
The president and Mrs. Obama also headlined a second glitzy fundraiser in Manhattan Thursday night that included a performance from singer Mariah Carey and remarks by singer Alicia Keys. The 250-person dinner yielded the Obama campaign at least $2.5 million.
Let me be clear……….
- AP: Obama Tells Celebrities They’re the ‘Ultimate Arbiter’ of America’s Direction (newsbusters.org)
- Everything We Know About Sarah Jessica Parker and Anna Wintour’s Fancy Obama Fundraiser (fashionista.com)
- President Barack Obama Attends Sarah Jessica Parker & Mariah Carey Fundraising Events in Nyc Details (binsidetv.net)
- Obama swings by Sarah Jessica Parker’s house (politico.com)
- Man of the people: Obama tells celebs they’re the ‘ultimate arbiter’ of the country’s direction (twitchy.com)
- Obama Fund-raiser Sparks ‘Total Insanity,’ Wine Shortages in West Village (nymag.com)
- What Happened At Sarah Jessica Parker’s Obama Fundraiser (theatlanticwire.com)
- President Obama and the City: Sarah Jessica Parker’s Fundraiser Gathers a Fashionable Crowd (eonline.com)
- President Obama Raises Cash In The City With Sarah Jessica Parker (mtv.com)
- Obama bemoans ‘people hurting out there’ at Sarah Jessica Parker’s $40,000-per-person fundraiser (twitchy.com)