Is Ron Paul about to endorse Mitt Romney? Would it mean anything if he does?
These are questions that are being bandied about in conservative, libertarian, and constitutionalist circles in the wake of Senator Rand Paul’s endorsement last week of the Republican Party’s “presumptive nominee.”
As I reported the day of Senator Paul’s announcement, the son of Ron Paul told Sean Hannity that his “first choice had always been [his] father,” Senator Paul then went on to say that now that the nominating process is over he would be campaigning for former Governor of Massachusetts Mitt Romney.
Almost simultaneously, Congressman Ron Paul (R-Texas) said nearly the same thing in an email to supporters and in an address to the Texas State Republican Convention.
“When it is all said and done, we will likely have as many as 500 supporters as delegates on the convention floor,” the libertarian-leaning icon said in his email.
“That is just over 20 percent! And while this total is not enough to win the nomination, it puts us in a tremendous position to grow our movement and shape the future of the GOP,” he continued.
A d v e r t i s e m e n t
Then, in reference to the hundreds of delegates chosen at the various state party conventions to represent their states at the national convention, Ron Paul said, “[We] will send several hundred additional supporters to Tampa who, while bound to Romney, believe in our ideas of liberty, constitutional government, and a common-sense foreign policy.”
Finally, the elder Paul encouraged his legion of devoted followers to “let the establishment know that we are the future of the Party and of the country.”
The backlash — primarily aimed at Senator Rand Paul — came swiftly. Facebook pages were created denouncing the Senator’s endorsement, Twitter was buzzing with cries of “sellout” and “traitor,” and perhaps most telling of all, blog posts began appearing on Ron Paul’s official campaign website reminding readers of other such endorsements by other heroes of the Right, calling them “trivial” and meaning “nothing in the grand scheme.”………….
- Prison Planet.com ” Ron Paul, Don’t Destroy Yourself (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Prison Planet.com ” Ron Paul Supporters Decry Rand’s Endorsement of Romney (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Prison Planet.com ” Lew Rockwell: Ron Paul and Rand Paul are different (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Prison Planet.com ” Infowars.com Readers Overwhelmingly Reject Rand Paul’s Romney Endorsement (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Prison Planet.com ” Chuck Baldwin Warns Ron Paul (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Rand Paul: Endorsing Romney was ‘compromising on strategy, not on principle’ (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- What was Rand Paul thinking? (politico.com)
- Prison Planet.com ” The Rise and Fall of Rand Paul (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Speaking Roles for Rand and Ron Paul at the Republican National Convention? (economicpolicyjournal.com)
- Prison Planet.com ” Ron Paul Supporters Are Really Pissed That Rand Paul Endorsed Mitt Romney (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Prison Planet.com ” “I’m Supporting The Party That I Belong To”: Rand Paul Speaks About Romney Endorsement (gunnyg.wordpress.com)