National Security: The junior senator from Kentucky seeks to protect the Fourth Amendment from the advance of technology and require that all forms of surveillance by law enforcement require a warrant from a judge.
Does the right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures include aerial surveillance of your house and property? Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., thinks so.
He introduced the Preserving Freedom from Unwarranted Surveillance Act, which would require the government to get a warrant before using aerial drones to surveil U.S. citizens.
“Like other tools used to collect information in law enforcement, in order to use drones a warrant needs to be issued,” Paul said Tuesday. “Americans going about their everyday lives should not be treated like criminals or terrorists and have their rights infringed upon by military tactics.”
We live in an age awash with cameras in stores, banks, parking lots, and most public places. Many cities have red light cameras at intersections to catch scofflaws and cameras on neighborhood corners to monitor gangs and other bad guys lurking in high-crime neighborhoods. Police cars are constantly on patrol.
The operative word here is public and in these situations the expectation of privacy does not apply. Certainly as we fight an ongoing war on terror we tolerate, despite the excesses, an invasion of our privacy in the form of body scans, luggage searches and the like.
We accept these actions because they aid law enforcement in its legitimate duty and help protect us from the dangerous and the criminal.
The argument is that if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear. Yet we know the store is looking for shoplifters, the camera on that pole is looking for people running red lights or gangbangers
(Excerpt) Read more at news.investors.com …
- Rand Paul takes on drone surveillance – RT (rt.com)
- Rand Paul Introduces Bill to Protect Americans From Unwarranted Use of Domestic Drones (reason.com)
- Bill protects Americans from drone surveillance (wnd.com)
- Rand Paul: Don’t let drones invade our privacy (cnn.com)
- Rand Paul proposes bill to prevent warrantless drone surveillance (rawstory.com)
- Rand Paul Bill Would Protect Us From Drone Surveillance (alan.com)
- Updates from Senator Rand Paul (theneteconomy.wordpress.com)
- Rand Paul Bill Would Protect Us From Drone Surveillance (radio.foxnews.com)
- Best Man In The Senate Strikes Again: Rand Paul on Drones (spatialorientation.com)
- Sen. Paul Introduces Bill to Protect Americans Against Unwarranted Drone Surveillance (ConservativeActionAlerts.com)