Military pulls its insignias from Bibles
Called national security threat by anti-Christian activists
By Jack Minor
The Pentagon has revoked permission for a Christian ministry to produce Bibles for different branches of the military, marked with those insignias, after an anti-Christian group called them a threat to national security.
In 2003, B&H Publishing, a division of LifeWay Christian Resources, was given authorization to use the official seals of the U.S. military branches on a line of Bibles. No government funds were used in the production of the Bibles, which contained devotional material unique to each service branch in much the same way they are tailored to other groups such as teens or children.
As part of the features, the Bibles featured the Pledge of Allegiance, the first and fourth verses of the Star Spangled Banner, Patton’s famous Christmas prayer card from 1944 as well as testimonials from the Officers’ Christian Fellowship.
Nowhere in the Bibles did they state that they were endorsed by any government entity or military branch.
Despite this, last year the Military Religious Freedom Foundation sent a letter to Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta demanding the military rescind its authorization to use the service emblems, saying it was a violation of church and state separation.
The request by the group was subsequently granted. Marty King, communications director for LifeWay said, “We received notice last year from the various branches withdrawing authorization.”
While the group was told it would be able to sell its existing stock, last week it was announced that the Department of Defense was pulling all known copies of the Bibles from exchange stores.
The Military Religious Freedom Foundation is taking credit for the removal of the Bibles from service exchanges and removal of the service insignias.
“Once again our foundation has decisively beaten back those who would see the wall separating church and state reduced to rubble,” said Mikey Weinstein, MRFF spokesman. “The very fact that the Pentagon – or ‘Pentacostal-gon’ – had allowed for the insignias of the Navy, Army, Marine Corps, and Air Force to be used for such a clearly evangelical fundamentalist agenda should sicken anyone with any inkling of respect for the ‘sacred’ principle of religious freedom as enshrined by the foundational documents of our nation, namely the U.S. Constitution.”
While the group claims that it is not an atheist organization and that many of its members are Christians, Weinstein admitted the group was opposed to evangelical Christianity. In an interview with Anti-war.com, he said, “We’re fighting a Fundamentalist-Christian-Parachurch-Military-Corporate-Proselytizing-Complex.”
Additionally, the group says that placing service logos on Bibles is a “national security threat.”………..
- Why Good Christians do Bad Things to Win Converts (awaypoint.wordpress.com)
- Court tosses claim prayer caused damages (wnd.com)
- MRFF’s Mikey Weinstein: Why It’s Important To Fight The Evangelizing Of Our Military (crooksandliars.com)
- Military revokes themed Bibles over trademark issues- Bible college student arrested for having pocketknife (radio.foxnews.com)
- Military pulls its insignias from Bibles (wnd.com)
- Asperger’s Syndrome (battlefieldusa.wordpress.com)
- Lawmakers claim Air Force culture becoming ‘hostile towards religion’ – Fox News (foxnews.com)
- How to Witness to an Atheist (brucegerencser.net)
- Marines Return to Being “Crusaders” (blogs.alternet.org)
- The Air Force, and the Increasing Misuse of the Term ‘Religious Freedom’ (patheos.com)
- Rep. Tim Huelskamp and Tony Perkins Respond to the Ban of Military-Themed Bibles | FRC Blog (amhec.wordpress.com)
- Mark Higgins on armchair theology (reassuringquotes.wordpress.com)
- Laurie Roth – Obama has declared war on God not the Catholic church (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- 300 suicide bombers target Christians (wnd.com)
- Christian ‘Anti-Defamation’ Group Presents ‘Reason #5’ Obama is Not a Christian: He Likes Gays – VIDEO (towleroad.com)
- Gay Conservatives Condemn Dan Savage’s Christian-Bullying (radio.foxnews.com)
- Spirituality – Re: Banned From The Bible (disclose.tv)
- Why Would The President Ally Himself With Anti-Christian Bully, Dan Savage? (nicedeb.wordpress.com)