John Roberts, insurance industry shill
…Roberts’s historic hand on the scale Thursday was the only way to preserve a central role for private insurers in American health care in the years ahead. In this sense, Roberts’ epic choice is therefore not only small “c” conservative as a matter of judicial temperament but economically conservative to boot.
What the chief justice has done is nothing less than save shortsighted partisans bent on overturning Obamacare from themselves.
As I and others have long argued, a successful drive to overturn the Affordable Care Act, combined with a continued surge in the ranks of the uninsured, would almost certainly have put America on a path to a single-payer system, about whose constitutionality there has never been any doubt. The only way to move toward universal coverage via private health plans is to require everyone to be in the insurance pool and to offer subsidies to lower-income folks who’d otherwise be unable to buy a policy. Conservatives understood these facts and supported this approach until President Obama decided to adopt their ideas and put real money behind them. … The left is (rightly) cheering the vindication of Romneycare, which the president now has a legal green light to take national. Mitt Romney is assailing his own pioneering policy and vowing to scrap it at the federal level if he gets the chance. And Roberts is being trashed by supposed champions of the private sector, whose role in health-care finance has in fact been preserved by Roberts’s surprise switcheroo.
That may not have been the chief justice’s intent — his real motives and reasoning in this historic exercise of power may be known only to his wife — but it’s the result. If conservatives had any sense of their long-term interests they’d be thanking him.
(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonpost.com …
- Laurence Tribe: I think my former student, John Roberts, will vote to uphold ObamaCare (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- What the high court will decide — and what the aftermath will be – msnbc.com (nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com)
- ObamaCare Will Define John Roberts’ Supreme Court (newser.com)
- Supreme Court’s Ruling On Health Care Law Coming Tomorrow (whnt.com)
- What the high court will decide — and what the aftermath will be (nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com)
- Supreme Court decision on polarizing health care law looms (cnn.com)
- Q and A: Possible outcomes in pending health care law case ()
- numerology for John Roberts (Thursday June 28th, 2012 Supreme Courth health care ruling) (edpetersonnumerology.com)
- Supreme Court Holds The Fate Of Millions Of Americans In Its Hands (huffingtonpost.com)
- Possible outcomes in pending health care law case (newsobserver.com)