(Rush) What Happened to John Roberts?
RUSH: Okay. Look, let’s cut to the chase here, folks. The reason that I’m nervous with all this speculation that Chief Justice Roberts “caved” and who “got to him” and who intimated him is simple.
The reason I’m having trouble with this is that I don’t think that’s what happened. I believe I mentioned earlier this week (it might have been yesterday or the day before) that I had been warned years ago. I was in a conversation about justices on the court and how they respond to public pressure in the Washington Post Style Section.
You know, the usual obligatory way you go and discuss the way that the media tries to influence outcome of votes on the Supreme Court. And all those conversations centered around Justice Kennedy as the swing vote.
And I was warned, “It’s not Kennedy you have to look out for. It’s Justice Roberts.” I can’t tell you who told me. No, no! I know who it is. It’s not that I’ve forgotten. It’s that I can’t mention it. I think really what happened here is not a cave. I don’t think there was a cave, folks.
I think Chief Justice Roberts is establishing his legacy. I think it’s what he wanted to do. I think this is his imprimatur. This is The Roberts Court, like we had The Warren Court and we had The Rehnquist Court. This is The Roberts Court. This is his stamp on it. I know it’s fun to think about the intimidation that might have occurred and who succeeded with it and so forth. There’s also… I don’t want to mention any names on this, either, because I don’t mean to embarrass anybody. But the other thing going on that you might have seen or heard yourself is this:
“Hey, wait a minute, Rush! Rush, wait a minute! Didn’t this tax increase originate in the Senate? Aren’t the taxes in the Obamacare from the Senate and therefore they’re unconstitutional?” Well, where are we gonna go on that? We gotta go back to where? The very same court that just said it’s okay! So what do we do? Okay, even if that’s a valid point. I understand this kind of stuff is gonna happen on a day like this. People are grasping at straws. They’re trying to look at something, anything they can grab onto to explain this and to give us some hope that we can reverse this.
- Charts: The Supreme Court’s Rightward Shift (motherjones.com)
- ObamaCare Will Define John Roberts’ Supreme Court (newser.com)
- Debunking The Myth Of The “Radical” Roberts Court (outsidethebeltway.com)
- (Rush) What’s Your Obamacare Prediction? (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Did Justice Roberts Trade Votes with Justice Kennedy? (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Supreme Court will Uphold Affordable HealthCare Act (wallstreetpit.com)
- Supreme Court: U.S. Chamber Of Commerce Undefeated This Term (huffingtonpost.com)
- John Roberts Explains It All For You (esquire.com)
- Ex-AG: John Roberts might punt on Supreme Court health care case (politico.com)
- Politico Warns Chief Justice Roberts (rushlimbaugh.com)