Most readers will likely recall the recent disturbing footage of 68-year-old Karen Klein, the monitor of bus 784 servicing the Athena Middle School in the Rochester suburb of Greece, NY. A group of about four young teens bullied this woman to tears on one of the final rides of the school year.
She made national news after the cell phone footage, reportedly taken by one of her tormentors, appeared on YouTube. Public outrage was fast and furious, quickly followed by an outpouring of support for the elderly Ms. Klein after she appeared on various national news programs to recount her ordeal.
In some ways, the situation involving Ms. Klein has become a virtual example of what is taking place to all Americans. During the extended period of harassment, Ms. Klein did not fight back against her harassers, even when the harassment rose to the level of simple assault. The chances are good that had she chosen to fight back, she would have been on her own, with no one coming to her aid. The bus driver was either oblivious to the actions of the punks and thugs, or more likely, simply chose not to intervene. Other physically capable student passengers, having only slightly less immorality than their tormenting counterparts, refrained from engaging in the harassment yet chose not to assist or otherwise protect the elderly woman.
We’ve all seen this type of aggressive behavior by bullies, thugs and punks time and again, if not in real life then on television or film. It’s sickening, disgusting and inexcusable. Anyone with any degree of benevolence had to feel compassion for the woman, and they did, based on the outpouring of moral and financial and support from people all over the world. God bless those who were moved to assist this lady in an effort to mitigate her emotional pain…………
- Tonight on AC360: Bullied bus monitor speaks out (ac360.blogs.cnn.com)
- Karen Klein Bus Bullies Slapped With One-YEAR School Suspension (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- Karen Klein: Bus Monitor Bullied and Harassed on Public Bus (afteramerica.wordpress.com)
- Bullied N.Y. bus monitor earns outpouring of support (ctv.ca)
- We are true Americans, and we will not submit (canadafreepress.com)
- Donations for bullied New York bus monitor approach $450000 – Fox News (foxnews.com)
- Young bullies apologize for tormenting bus monitor (usnews.msnbc.msn.com)
- Middle Schoolers Bully Bus Monitor, 68, with Stream of Profanity, Jeers (5newsonline.com)
- Bus Monitor Karen Klein Says She Won’t Accept Bully Kids’ Apologies (news.softpedia.com)
- Students Who Harassed Bus Monitor Get A Year’s Suspension And Some. (Video) (new102.cbslocal.com)