Virgil Goode for President? (“Former Virginia Congressman, Virgil Goode, has expressed a strong interest in seeking the Constitution Party Presidential nomination in 2012 and at its meeting this past weekend, the Constitution Party National Committee unanimously passed a resolution inviting him to do just that.”)
Former Virginia congressman Virgil Goode may be looking for a new job: Presidential candidate.
That’s one way to read a fundraising appeal the Constitution Party recently issued:
Former Virginia Congressman, Virgil Goode, has expressed a strong interest in seeking the Constitution Party Presidential nomination in 2012 and at its meeting this past weekend, the Constitution Party National Committee unanimously passed a resolution inviting him to do just that.
Okay, so the party has invited Goode to go for it. The GOP and Democratic Party don’t issue similar exhortations when candidates seek their party nominations, but maybe they should test the idea in fundraising to see if it lifts response rates.
But what of Mr. Goode? Followers of Virginia politics will recall that he was a long-time member of the state Senate – and a Democrat. He was a big early supporter of the Equal Rights Amendment. But he wasn’t always an obedient Democrat, as he mounted primary challenges to then-incumbent U.S. Senator Chuck Robb in 1994 and was part of a power-sharing agreement with state Republicans as they began their ascendancy under then-Gov. George Allen (R).
Elected to Congress in 1996, he became an independent in January 2000 and was re-elected in November. Eventually, Goode became a Republican, and voters in Virginia’s 5th congressional district sent him back to Washington five more times. In 2008, he narrowly lost his seat to Democrat Tom Perriello, who was defeated in 2010 by former GOP state Sen. Robert Hurt.
(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonexaminer.com …
- USWGO Interviews Presidential candidate Virgil Goode; admits he is aware of Bilderberg Group (federaljack.com)
- Constitution Party to run Virgil Goode for president (arielleretting.com)
- Virgil Goode addresses Salem voters (timesdispatch.com)
- Virgil Goode: Constitution Party Candidate for President (thenewamerican.com)
- Former 6 Term Congressman Virgil Goode has been declared Constitution Party Presidential Candidate (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- How to Tell if a Candidate Backs Peace or War (my.firedoglake.com)
- Goode Enough for Paul supporters? (ConservativeActionAlerts.com)
- Calm Down, Virgil (history.icanhascheezburger.com)
- Obama should win with 4 Republican November Opponents (examiner.com)
- Virginia Rep. Tom Perriello now down by 23% (americablog.com)