Does a Man Ever Truly Stop Loving His Ex-Wife?
Dail Mail ^ | 6 July 2012 | Sandra Howard
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2012 11:04:05 PM by nickcarraway
SANDRA HOWARD asks the question that unsettles every woman whose husband is divorced
Years after their divorce, Frank Sinatra and Ava Gardner remained deeply in love. I saw for myself how abiding their mutual affection was when, one evening, more than a decade after they had separated, I joined them for supper.
Frank and Robin had forged a friendship over a biography he had been writing of Sinatra. I was modelling for the Eileen Ford agency in New York at the time. It was 1962, a full five years after Frank and Ava had divorced when the four of us enjoyed that modest meal together. Yet what endures in my memory is the palpable chemistry that still existed between the singer and the actress.
Although he was married four times, Frank’s one great love remained Ava, and vice versa. I recall how they sat close together on a bench seat in that restaurant all evening, his arm draped around her shoulder, a proprietorial smile of pride on his face.
She was sinuous and elegant in a classic black dress: Frank once said she had the ‘easy grace of a tigress’. Although their marriage had been volatile, their love for each other never faltered. Ava, in fact, never married again. But Frank did: twice more in fact, and I have often wondered whether Ava’s successor, the waif-like actress Mia Farrow, felt undermined by the potent attraction Ol’ Blue Eyes felt for her beautiful predecessor.
(Excerpt) Read more at dailymail.co.uk …
- Life After Divorce: When you Lose Half your Friends (julietjeske.wordpress.com)
- Vintage Photo Series – Frank Sinatra and Donna Reed (magellanstraits.com)
- Tony Hadley: Frank Sinatra is my inspiration. I love his music, but more that that, I find inspiration from his life (dailymail.co.uk)
- Frank by James Kaplan – review (guardian.co.uk)
- Just $12 Million (lewrockwell.com)
- Ava Ann Holder (rockstarronan.com)
- Organs of 3-Year-Old Drowning Victim Could Save Up To 8 Children (wreg.com)
- sweet LIFE (streetkatze.wordpress.com)
- Jazz Note 20 – Be the Boss (weheartmusic.typepad.com)
- Week Twenty-Three: Reading Mr. S, Revisiting Characters’ Childhoods, and Regaining Youth at ACE! (readwritebliss.wordpress.com)