This Convention Matters
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2012 7:41:33 AM by Kaslin
We’ve all heard the objection that political conventions have become empty kabuki theater. The high drama of multiple ballots is dead and gone. Uncertainty about the outcome is no more. “Today,” laments political guru Mike Murphy, “delegates are bound through the application of TV ad ratings points, not machine deals.
They sit in the convention hall like the background actors in a TV show, milling about to the director’s orders, wearing costumes and denied a single line. It seems a shabby ending to a great tradition. It’s time for a mercy killing.”
Mike Murphy is an astute observer of all things political, but I think………….
- Despite Delay, Republican Stage Is Set In Tampa (npr.org)
- Poll: How Will You Follow the Political Conventions? (pbs.org)
- Conventions still matter, but do we really need four days? (tampabay.com)
- Women’s libbers and anti-war protests: memories of the 1972 GOP convention (suntimes.com)
- “Most voters won’t be watching much of the upcoming national political conventions…” (althouse.blogspot.com)
- CNN’s Important GOP Convention News: Strippers Readying for Convention (canadafreepress.com)
- Gloria Steinem Attacks Democratic Convention For ‘Discriminating Against Mothers’ With Young Kids (mediaite.com)
- 2012 conventions embrace social media openness (sfgate.com)
- Strippers Look At The GOP Convention As A Huge Business Opportunity (thegrindstone.com)
- Convention Veteran Checks GOP Mood In Tampa (npr.org)