Indeed, Obama’s second inaugural address was a liberal wet dream: It pressed all of the Left’s erogenous zones:
• Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security? Obama vowed not to change or reform them — even though they are driving us toward financial insolvency, and even though they provide workers with a relatively lousy return on their investment.
• “Climate change”? It is real, and it must be addressed — now!
• “Sustainable (read: green) energy”? “America cannot resist this transition. We must lead it” — now!
• Women? They suffer wage discrimination, which must be addressed by new governmental action — now!
• Gays? They are the new blacks; and their relationships must be given the same legal status as heterosexual married couples. We mustn’t “discriminate” — children, families, and religious liberty be damned.
• Immigrants and illegal aliens? Hasta la vista, Yankee! Move over, whitey! There’s a new sheriff in town, and his name is Barack. And so, no longer will illegals be “expelled from our country.”
• Defense and foreign policy? “A decade of war is now ending,” insists Obama. Really? Has anyone asked al Qaeda?
We will “engage,” but not militarily, he adds. Instead, “we will show the courage to try and resolve our differences with other nations peacefully.” Again, that’s a very nice sentiment, but does it correspond with the real world?
• Economic growth, which was of central importance in Reagan’s inaugural addresses, is nowhere to be found in Obama’s. The words and the phrase simply doesn’t exist in his vocabulary. Economic growth, instead, is taken for granted.
“Economic recovery has begun,” Obama declares, without offering any ideas whatsoever for how to sustain and promote economic growth.
(Excerpt) Read more at spectator.org …