Who is Rand Paul?
Townhall.com ^ | September 2, 2014 | Ralph BenkoPosted on 9/2/2014, 11:29:50 AM by KaslinFor starters, Rand is short for Randal, not an allusion to Ayn Rand, after whom Sen. Paul was not named by his libertarian not Objectivist father Ron Paul. Reportedly, growing up he was called Randy … until his wife shortened the diminutive to Rand.Washington, ordinarily, is committed to maintaining the status quo or making, at best, incremental…
As we struggle with the political consequences of the end of an era of all-out war the old political status quo is ripe for transformation.Paul shows signs of being the key transformational figure. If he himself understands the depth of this proposition he well might become unstoppable.Washington, naturally, finds him confounding.As Aaron Blake, a columnist for the ever-conventional Washington Post, says,
“Rand Paul is an enigma wrapped in a riddle. And four years after he burst on to the scene in the 2010 Kentucky Senate race, we’re still trying to figure out precisely who he is.”August was a bit of a roller coaster PR month for U.S. Senator Rand Paul. He caught flak for denying a change of view on foreign aid, specifically to Israel, and got static for including a fundraising trip for a local library in the Hamptons during a family commitment to which he gave priority over a Family Leadership Summit in Ames, Iowa.
Then Paul upped the ante with his Time Magazine essay We Must Demilitarize the Police. Particularly noteworthy was his observation that “If I had been told to get out of the street as a teenager, there would have been a distinct possibility that I might have smarted off. But, I wouldn’t have expected to be shot.”This essay brought him more flak from the law-and-order right’s Bob Patterson and from “reform conservative”– meaning the Washington Post’s version of “conservatism” – Michael Gerson. Gerson belatedly exalts Jack Kemp, to whose supply-side wing of the GOP Gerson never belonged, and denigrates Paul.
This column also brought Sen. Paul extensive praise both from left and right. Confusion abounds.As World War II bomber pilots used to say, “If you’re not catching flak you’re not over the target.” So the flak provides evidence that Sen. Paul might be “over the target” in a probable drive to Occupy 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. Naturally, his rivals for that office will attack, and the mainstream media, that Neo-Spanish Inquisition, will be Very Inquisitive. As for his rivals…
There are two major factions within the GOP. The Establishment Moderate and big donor Chamber of Commerce faction was uniting behind Gov. Chris Christie until Gov. Christie stubbed his toe, hard, on a bridge abutment. The Establishment, since Christie’s stumble, now is leaning toward former governor Jeb Bush. Mitt Romney, chastely protesting disinterest, appears to be waiting in the wings for Gov. Bush to bow out.The second faction has been called, by Pew, “steadfast conservatives.”
Steadfast conservatives are disproportionately influential in the early nominating contests, Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.But writing as a member of the Tribe it’s not a homogenous group. Sen. Ted Cruz leads in the Tea Party demographic. Yet Cruz’s base support, at 15%, is by no means overwhelming. Cruz polls, therein, barely ahead of Jeb Bush.
Also, the Tea Party is a vociferous but distinctly minority segment even of the steadfast conservatives.The steadfast conservative base for the Iowa caucuses roughly divides, in a manner lost on most of the mainstream media, between the anti-big-government Tea Party and the social-issues-devoted religious right. It’s not at all clear that Sen. Cruz’s popularity in the anti-government Tea Party will propel him to victory over a candidate who appeals more directly to evangelicals. His appeal to religiously serious Catholics who tilt more favorably toward a government role in social insurance and social justice is even less apparent.Favorite sons of the religious right have included Gov. Mike Huckabee and Sen. Rick Santorum. Gov. Huckabee polls well in Iowa where he won in 2008. Yet Gov. Huckabee has not committed to running and well may not. Sen. Santorum won Iowa — in the recount — in 2012. In this cycle, however, rather than focusing on values issues he seems to be retooling as a populist champion of blue collar workers.
Focus on the economic plight of median income families is shrewd. Yet it’s unclear that Sen. Santorum’s endorsement of such Big Government nostrums as raising the federal statutory minimum wage will prove an apt way to excite a steadfast conservative base. The free market is doctrinal to the base.Steadfast conservative commentator Erick Erickson is curiously dim on the evangelical appeal of Huckabee and Santorum. He calls Ben Carson………………….
via Who is Rand Paul?.
- GUNNY G: BB ORWELL 1984+
- GUNNY G: P!SSED YET, PILGRIM?
- GUNNY G: NOTHING BY ACCIDENT…
- GUNNY G: THE PEOPLE WHO CAST THE VOTES…
- GUNNY G: BLOGGING BAD!
- GUNNY G BLOGS, ETC.
- Ted Cruz to join Donald Trump, Michele Bachmann at New Orleans Republican Leadership Conference (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- By Alan Keyes: ‘Non-birther’ Rand Paul denigrates Constitution… “Like almost everyone else who collaborates with the current two-party sham, Sen. Paul has chosen to abrogate the Constitution’s natural-born citizen………………..” (madashelland.wordpress.com)
- Cruz in Charge of the Conservative Movement….. (deadcitizensrightssociety.wordpress.com)
- Senator Rand Paul Issues a Warning… “The Senate has the power to restrain the executive branch – and my filibuster was the beginning of the fight to restore a healthy balance of powers.” | Opinion – Conservative (genomega1.wordpress.com)
- (GyG: Now Just Whaddaya Think The Folks Think ‘Bout THIS !!!!!) ~ Rand Paul: ‘When Republican Party looks like the rest of America, we’ll win’ (gunnygblog.wordpress.com)
- Senator Rand Paul Introduces Bill to Repeal FATCA! (gunnygblog.wordpress.com)
- Cruz on Renouncing His Canadian Citizenship: ‘American and Only an American’ (gunnygblog.wordpress.com)
- Republican Jewish Coalition Bars Ron Paul from GOP Debate (reclaimamericafromthelunaticfringe.wordpress.com)
- Jon Stewart: Why is Everyone Still Ignoring Ron Paul? (yourdaddy.net)
- Cruz: Iran Might Nuke New York or Los Angeles (deadcitizensrightssociety.wordpress.com)