John McCain Launches Attack On Trump As He Savages Wealthy Young Men Who Avoided The Vietnam Draft ‘
The Daily Mail ^ | 10/23/17 | Abigail Miller
Posted on 10/23/2017, 9:02:02 AM by Enlightened1
- McCain spoke about the Vietnam War in a C-SPAN interview aired Sunday night
- He criticized wealthy individuals who were able to avoid being drafted by having doctors write them a note that they had a bone spur
- One of those was President Trump – who has longstanding beef with McCain
- In 2015 Trump criticized McCain for being a POW during Vietnam – despite the fact that his service earned him the title of War Hero
- Earlier this year McCain was one of few republicans who didn’t vote for Trump’s proposal to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act
Senator John McCain delivered a thinly veiled attack of President Trump‘s lack of military service on Sunday evening.
McCain, who has been criticized about his war hero status by Trump, seemed to retaliate while speaking about the Vietnam War in an interview aired on C-Span Sunday night.
The 81-year-old from Arizona spoke about how wealthy Americans were able to avoid being drafted into service during the battle – in which he spent five years as a prisoner of war – by having a doctor say they had a bone spur.
If that sounds familiar to anyone, that’s because it is the excuse that President Trump used in one of his five deferments during Vietnam. The other four were because he was still a college student.
‘One aspect of the conflict, by the way, that I will never ever countenance is that we drafted the lowest-income level of America, and the highest-income level found a doctor that would say they had a bone spur,’ McCain said in the interview.
‘That is wrong. That is wrong. If we are going to ask every American to serve, every American should serve.’
(Excerpt) Read more at dailymail.co.uk …